Dangerous living conditions forced a man’s family to be torn apart.
Kilwinning man John Symington felt his home had become so dangerous that he couldn’t let his own son be in the house.
Water leaking onto an electricity socket in John’s kitchen had become so concerning for him that he had to tell his son, Michael, 4, that he couldn’t stay in the house anymore.
Thirty-year-old John is now furious with North Ayrshire Council for letting the dangerous problem go on for so long.
John said: “The council told me it was condensation, and I know exactly what condensation is, it certainly doesn’t flow like a river.
“I just couldn’t have my son in my house anymore, it was too dangerous.”
John had water running into his electrical socket for over a year, the stream of water appearing intermitently throughout that period.
John was told by council bosses by letter that his property posed “no danger” and that he should be satisfied with the work that was completed.
Although the stream of water has now been stopped, John has been left feeling that the council didn’t act fast enough to address a dangerous situation.
“I’ve now been left with even worse damp in my home, which really isn’t ideal at this time of year,” said John.
“The previous tenant that lived here told me it’s impossible to get rid of the damp from this house and the council are still doing nothing to resolve the situation.
“I’m a very frustrated tenant and parent, I don’t think I’m being treated with any respect by North Ayrshire Council – they haven’t even apologised,” he added.
A spokesperson for North Ayrshire Council said: “The first complaint about a socket at Mr Symingtons’s property was on November 22 this year. We have no records prior to this.
“This work has now been completed. We are due to carry out some more improvements in the new year. We visited Mr Symington’s property on Thursday,December 20, to discuss the issue and confirmed that the socket had been repositioned.
“It was explained there was a possibility of condensation around the socket rather than flowing water. “This did not pose a danger as any contact with water would result in the circuit being broken.”